Topic: Exploration

PTTEP enjoys more success offshore Malaysia with fresh discovery

Region: Asia Pacific
Content Types: Report
Date: May, 2021

AdobeStock 209649504

PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited (PTTEP) has announced yet another gas discovery from its first exploration well, Kulintang-1, in Block SK438, located off the coast of Sarawak, offshore Malaysia.

Phongsthorn Thavisin, CEO of PTTEP, disclosed that PTTEP, through its subsidiary PTTEP HK Offshore Limited (PTTEP HKO), commenced the drilling of Kulintang-1 wildcat well in Block SK438 in March 2021 and successfully drilled to a total depth of 2,238 metres in April 2021.

Block SK438 is located in the shallow waters, approximately 108 kilometres off the coast of Bintulu in Sarawak. PTTEP HKO is the operator with 80% participating interest while PETRONAS Carigali Sdn. Bhd. (PETRONAS Carigali) holds the remaining 20%. PTTEP expects to drill another exploration well in this block in the second quarter of 2021.

Block SK438 is adjacent to Blocks SK405, SK309 and SK311, SK314A, all of which are operated by PTTEP, with existing facilities nearby. The location, therefore, provides an advantage for future development including the potential for cluster development.

PTTEP’s Malaysian success story

This discovery is the latest of PTTEP’s continued success in Malaysia. Already this year the company discovered a significant oil and gas column of more than 100 metres from exploration well, Sirung-1, in Block SK405B; revealed a high quality gas reservoir from the Dokong-1 well in Block SK417; registered a new record for its largest ever gas discovery from the Lang Lebah-2 appraisal well in the Sarawak SK 410B Project; and announced the start-up of natural gas production from Rotan and Buluh deepwater fields of Block H which targets production capacity at 270 million standard cubic feet per day.

“The Kulintang-1 well adds to the consecutive discoveries PTTEP has made this year which demonstrate our significant exploration progress in Malaysia. The discovery highlights our strong partnership with PETRONAS and continuous efforts in applying new techniques and interpretation to identify opportunities in mature areas. We are determined to explore further and make more oil & gas discoveries in Malaysia to serve future energy demand,” said Thavisin.